Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Many Things...

I have a few stories to draw your attention to for today, but I want to lead off with one that I have a personal stake in, mostly because this guy could be me. I posted a story a little while ago about a NYC Board of Ed employee getting canned becuase he was caught playing solitaire by the esteemed Mayor of NYC. Today I like to say that madness has ended. A Judge ruled in favor of Toquir Choudri in his case of getting the boot for using the internet. Well he was not exhonorated, but he was only reprimanded instead of fired which is good. I thought I might have to cut back on my daily read of Slashdot and The Village voice for a sec but it turns out I am safe for the time being.

In a story that seems like it was written for every twenty something out there, here a nice piece of that new found art form of drunk dialing (which is now apparently moving on to drunk texting and drunk emailing). This is quite funny because a few weeks ago I got some random message from a girl on myspace who said that my profile was the first she had seen in a bit that did not want to make her vomit (she did not quite put it that way but you get the idea). SHe said in the message that she was a little tipsy or something to that effect, so that was a drunk myspacing I guess. SHe actually turned out to be pretty good looking, but as many relationships that start on myspace turn out, we don't really speak anymore.

In some tech news we have a study showing that the amount of people who actually care and keep up with the pace of technology being much higher than those that consider themselves geeks (most of the slashdot crowd). These people won't out themselves as geeks all the time but will sometimes switch conversation from politics to science or willfully jump into sciency (that's right, new word) conversations. I am an honest person, part geek, part athelete with enough knowledge to just get myself in trouble. The antithesis of this would be the Linux Snob who is now one of the latest reasons people wont jump into the linux crock pot. WHile I think this may be part of the reason there have been tech snobs since I can remember people being really into tech so there is really nothing new here.

More to post later, I just realized I actually haven't read some of the stories I wanted to talk about. Later chumps and chumpettes...

No comments: