Thursday, February 02, 2006

New Music For That @SS!

Nothing really new to report these days, a few days ago we were all treated to the SOTU (State of the Union) by the POTUS. Apparently he had nothing really new to say aside from telling the Dems that they should go piss off and telling the country that our dependence on foreign oil should be slowed while only offering up to put back in place funding for alternative fuel that he had taken away earlier in his term. Here’s a quick rundown of what’s in the news for those that don’t watch (you really should, it sure is a lot more entertaining than Lost or even, dare I say it, Battlestar Galactica which is widely known as one of the best shows on TV right now. Mad Miners have died in VA in the past few months. I believe the number is ~16 now. Last Year (2004) only 2 miners died. Some would call this a divine act of God punishing us for something or another (Pat Robertson I’m looking at you) but I really don’t know what to make of it. Are the miners being more careless or is it just coincidence for now. Not sure but something should be done. Cindy Sheehan and Beverly Young (wife of Rep. C.W. Bill Young) were both tossed from the House Gallery before the SOTU on Tuesday night. Sheehan was wearing a shirt with the US death toll on it, and Young wore a shirt with a “Support The Troops” slogan on it. Later on the captain of the police that told the two women to leave apologized to both of them for making them and us feel like we live in a police state. There are also several ongoing debates surrounding: The 10th Planet, Boys doing worse than girls academically, what if anything should be done about the newly elected Hamas Government of Palestine (go radical Muslims!) and Iran’s clear intention of building atomic missiles with their atomic enrichment program.

I have recently gotten some new music and would like to share with you some bands that might be interesting:

Artic Monkeys – Whatever People Say I am, That’s What I’m Not:
Leave it to the British to make a much longer title than necessary. Whatever, this music is actually pretty good and in my opinion sounds like what the strokes 3rd album should have been. Check it out.

M.I.A – Arula: I actually have only heard one track on this isht so far, not bad. A little dancehall, a little electro, and some other Hot beats. Besides this is one fine looking Sri Lankan chick.

Kashmir – No Balance Palace: I actually saw a video for this poor man’s RadioHead (even that is a huge stretch) on this guys
50 greatest videos of 2005 site, turns out the rest of this album isn’t bad either.

Annie – Anniemal: Gonna have to give cred to Pinto for this one. I have liked Sophie Ellis Bextor for a long time now and The Cardigans for even longer than that. Annie seems to be able to combine both with that sweet soft Norwegian voice and nice, general and generic electronic beats.

My next post hopefully will be a “Throw Back” as they say to the original beep boppin’ and scattin’, a newsletter I had in Stuyvesant High School that lasted all of two issues because in reality I had nothing to write about. The first issue pretty much covered all the crap that my friends and I talked about on a daily basic like tits and ass (we were in high school, what can I say). The second issue you can see me stretching for stuff and that’s when I realized the dream was dead. Let me know what you think of it if you happen to come across it…

No comments: