Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Shutdown '09, Part 1, Day 1
























So I am at the beginning of two weeks off from work. My company has unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) shut its doors for the next two weeks to save some dollars. Apparently shutting our doors for a week saves a significant amount of jobs, I would rather not go to work then have me or someone I know (or even don't know) get laid off so this is pretty cool. Besides the fact that it is eating away at my built up vacation like no other (don't ask me to do anything in 2010, I will not have any vacation time), it does make me feel like I am back in college for a x-mas break or something. All the same, I have a few things to share today, starting with those crazy folks who work for the state governement of Utah.

Apparently the entire government was taken by a 419 type scam, the likes of which have been around for several years. A popular internet meme in the short time that we have had to build and recognize such memes, any self respecting connected American should never fall for this. Tragic, but what do you expect from the home state of the Mormons... (sorry Mormons, that was obligatory. I really don't have a problem with your religion, at least the mainstream parts. Read aloud, all religion origin stories sound ridiculous).

And yesterday was the start of what's sure to be a closely watched trial between the runners of the site "The Pirate Bay" and the IFPI. Reportedly if the case goes the way everyone thinks it's going to go, many of the interweb's torrents will die or become increasingly unreliable. Here's hoping that people don't vote the way they have been conditioned to vote.

Lastly, I saw this when reading about a competition/showcase to design future cityscapes. Pretty cool...

No comments: