Thursday, September 07, 2006

I Find Myself Conflicted on This

New changes in the format of facebook have prompted an unexpected backlash at the sites controllers.  I am not really sure how I feel about this.  I am big proponent of privacy, and being a member of a social networking site myself I can see how this could be annoying.  I can't really understand getting all worked up over it.  Maybe this is a sign that I am actually getting older and leaving the younger ways of thought behind.  How can you be on what is a essentially a public forum and then be pissed when the publicity gets to be a little to much.

"Deitch was careful to note that the new features don’t reveal anything
new. Rather, they just make the information easier to find. “I think
what it raises the awareness of for users is that, in the past I think
they’ve felt like even though [some information] was public, that it
wasn’t for some reason,” she said."

Somehow despite all the stories that people see about employees getting fired and people getting into trouble for posting things on their profiles, these idiots don't seem to get it.  If "Hope that my boss does not see my facebook profile" on your profile, your boss can see it whether it's aggragated or not.

No comments: